My March Madness Bulletin Board
Sunday, April 8, 2012
So I taught a lesson along with my partner Andrew on Tuesday April 3rd.
- We prepared by thinking what the lesson will be about. First we were thinking about making it a lesson on trains. But then we decided that learning about trains will not really help them. So we changed the lesson into one about mottoes. This was a much more useful lesson we thought and also we knew exactly how to pull it off.
- The objective was for students to be able to explain what a motto is and come up with their own motto. What I didn't put on the lesson was that in order to assess the students they had to be able to write their own mottoes. If they do it correctly then I will know that they understand.
- The lesson started to go the way we wanted but it went south really quickly. The students started to get out of control and then we sort of got of track with the lesson because I was running around trying to get everyone under control.
- The most important thing that I wanted to teach the students was that this is something that could be used outside the classroom. I felt that learning stuff that you can use outside the classroom is important then it gives them an incentive to learn.
- Overall I thought the lesson could have been a lot better. I felt that one reason why it could've been better was because I let the behavior of the class get me quite often and although the behavior was a little out of control I didn't handle it very well. Andrew did a much better job of handling the class. The lesson itself could've been better as well. We didn't really get to do everything we wanted to do and we might have handled the stations a bit better. By this I mean that we could've let one group play with the trains on their own, while the two of us could sit with another group. I could've sit with the group talking about their mottoes and Andrew could've sat with the group writing their own stories about believing in their own ability.
- One thing that I learned was that i should have busy work ready for those students who finish their work really quickly otherwise they will get distracted and some will cause trouble.
- If I could have another go at it then I would change the way I acted cause I felt that I was a little too strict for 2nd grade. Also I would use a different method of discipline and use a rewards system for good behavior.
- I think the lesson could have been more effective if I was a little nicer and if I used both positive and negative reinforcement. By this I mean that if someone was being good then they would get a sticker or candy or some other type of reward. If they were misbehaving then I would tell them that they won't go outside or they wouldn't be allowed to play with the trains. Also I think if I used more Disney characters to get the students interested the lesson would have been more effective.
- In order to improve I think I need to realize that these are young children and they will misbehave a little bit but that doesn't mean I should run the classroom like a Drill Sargent. I also need to lighten up a little. I think that if I'm a bit nicer to the students they will respond better.
Friday, February 24, 2012
Today I learned to make a glog. I learned how useful it can be to teach kids. I enjoyed myself today. This seems like a good activity for kids to do as well. My opinion is that every teacher shouyld incoporate this into their teaching style some how. The glog is something that seems to be a good way to get creative and it seems to be something that will be used more often in the future. I for one will be using this more often. http://sushi500.edu.glogster.com/edit/glog-1/
Tuesday, February 21, 2012
Today in class I learned how to make a wordle online. This is going to help me teach kids who are visual learners. I thought today was a good class overall. I got to learn some new things that are going to help me in the future. I also got some work done in class today. I did find some of the things we did today a little confusing. But I got the hang of it with a little practice. These are thigns that I think will help me in the real world. It will help me get a job, it'll help me teach kids, and it will also help to improve other teachers' teaching capabilities. I'm looking forward to doing this again. :)
Today pissed me off right at the beginning. I couldn't log onto my blog and then after I managed to log on I was on the wrong blog. I had to make a new one and start over. So now I'm trying to clam down and keep an open mind about what we're gonna do. So we will see what happens the rest of the day.